Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just in case...

If any of you incoming Peru 13-ers have found my blog in an anxious attempt to find out anything and everything possible about Peru in the next three days, here are a few tidbits to help with last minute packing:

1. You CAN buy peanut butter in Peru. It's expensive, but always worth it. You can also buy Oreos, which go great with PB and are fun to eat in bed at night. But be sure to brush your teeth afterward, or you might get a cavity (like me)

2. Other things you CAN buy here: snickers bars, ramen noodles, shampoo, facewash, macaroni and cheese (kraft, nonetheless), batteries, baby wipes, sunglasses, ritz crackers, cheap movies, listerine and colgate toothpaste

3. Some things I am REALLY glad I packed: My yoga mat (good for all sorts of exercise, and great as a rug when it's not in use), yoga pants/sweatpants (I almost never wear jeans in site), lots of tampons (they're really expensive here), comfy hiking shoes, my teddy bear

4. Don't worry too much about packing dress clothes- you'll only need them a couple of times- and think durable rather than super classy.

5. And last but not least, don't stress too much because we all end up wearing the same four t-shirts every day for two years anyway, and no one here is judging.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for the tips. I'll be in Peru in September and have started thinking about all the things I 'need'.

Jennifer said...

Care to divulge about every day life in your site? How often you see other PCVs, whether you can flush toilet paper (very common the the Central American PCV blogs), how the community has responded to you, etc. I'd love to see that if you have the time to talk about it.